Are you interested in starting your own specialty food business?
Do you already have a specialty food business, but need a licensed kitchen to produce your products?
Do you have any family members or friends interested in starting a specialty food business?
THE KITCHEN INCUBATOR AT CTTC can provide you with the resources and support you need to start and maintain your business!
The Kitchen Incubator at CTTC was established in May 2008 to help local entrepreneurs start and maintain successful food businesses.
What does the program offer?
Funded by a U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Business Enterprise Grant, the program offers:
- Business planning and food production assistance.
- A shared-use, licensed commercial kitchen with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Office and conference room space (additional fees beyond kitchen rental fees apply).
- Support in creating marketing plans.
Who does the program serve?
- Farmers looking to develop value-added products.
- Restaurant owners interested in producing salad dressings and sauces or other products for retail sale.
- Talented bakers or cooks who want to sell their goods.
- Anyone looking to start a food business in their home or local community.
What are some examples of products that can be produced in the Kitchen Incubator?
- Jams and Jellies
- Marinades, Sauces and Spreads
- Pies, Cakes, Cookies and other Baked Goods
- Dried Herbs
- Dip Mixes
- Breads and Doughs
- And many others!
What are the steps involved in the process?
- Request, complete and submit an initial Kitchen Incubator application. You may request an application by filling out the Interest Form on the back of this page or by calling us.
- Once the application is reviewed, a meeting will be set up to discuss the business and product(s), as well as begin developing a business plan with the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) by attending a First Step seminar or an individual meeting.
- Applicants are also encouraged to attend a Building Your Food Business seminar or class, offered by the SBDC several times throughout the year.
- Once the business plan is completed and the client is prepared to move forward, an application will be submitted to the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA).
- Once the PDA has reviewed the application, a meeting will be arranged with the PDA, the client, and CTTC staff to discuss specific details and requirements (i.e. production methods, packaging, labeling, etc.).
- Once approved by the PDA, clients will be granted a license to operate their food business within CTTC’s Kitchen Incubator facility and will be responsible for paying the $35 registration fee (renewed annually) to the PDA.
- Clients must successfully complete ServSafeâ food safety certification prior to using the kitchen. ServSafeâ classes are offered approximately once per month, eight times per year at the SBDC at a cost of $155 per person, plus $20 for PDA food employee certification.
- Clients must obtain appropriate general business liability and product liability insurance and sign a formal agreement with CTTC prior to using the Kitchen Incubator.
- Clients will then meet with CTTC staff to set a schedule for kitchen usage and will be responsible for paying all applicable rental fees.
- Once all of the above steps have been completed, the client may begin his or her business utilizing the Kitchen Incubator at CTTC.
More detailed information regarding Kitchen Incubator processes and procedures is made available to clients during the individual meeting mentioned in Step 2. You can also discover more about our Kitchen Incubator here.
CTTC Kitchen Incubator Interest Form
Kitchen Incubator applications can be obtained by filling out and submitting this form or by calling 570-282-1255. Please include the application-processing fee of $25 (check or money order – do not mail cash) when you submit the application.
Business Name (if applicable):
City, State, ZIP:
Daytime Phone: Evening Phone:
Please briefly describe your business or business idea, including a description of the product(s):
Please mail or fax completed Interest Form to:
10 Enterprise Drive
Carbondale, PA 18407
Once your Interest Form is received, an official application will be sent to you.